Monday 31 March 2014

Zucchini Lasagna

When I got back from university today I was insanely hungry and before I knew it I had sliced up a zucchini that we had laying around. Since I am not the biggest fan of zucchini I had to take a step back, eat some grapes & nuts then really think about what I could make out of this. And then it hit me! I wanted to make a lasagna! Because it was such a long ago since I had any type of lasagna! But I also wanted it to be vegan & super-duper healthy of course! Meaning that it was time for a compromise! Because I refuse to give up on great flavor in order to eat healthy!

This recipe doesn't taste like traditional lasagna (according to both me and my sister it tasted better) so if that's what you're looking for then this recipe is not for you! But if you're ready to try something new & divinely delicious then this is without a doubt something that I think that you would enjoy!


Zucchini Lasagna (serves 4)

The base
      1 zucchini
      1 tbsp olive oil
      salt
      pepper

The "sauce"
      2 1/2 dl cashew nuts (about 1 cup)
      1 tbsp dill, either fresh or dried
      dash of coriander
      dash of cayenne pepper
      dash of herb salt
      water as needed (I used about 150 ml)

The "meat"
      450 grams of extra firm tofu or cooked chickpeas
      10 sundried tomatoes (that has been soaked in hot water for about 30 minutes)
      2 1/2 dl water (about 1 cup)
      1 onion
      spices to your liking

Directions
Set your oven to 180 °C (about 360 °F).

Slice the zucchini lengthwise into thin strips, then place in a bowl. Pour the olive oil over the strips & add the salt & pepper. Place them in a medium sized baking dish & place them in the oven for about 15 minutes.

The sauce is really simple to make, simply add all the ingredients to a food processor & mix until smooth. Add the water little by little so that it doesn't end up too runny. Pour into another container & wash of the food processor because you'll be using it to ground up your "meat".

Chop up your onion & put it in a frying pan with some olive oil or cooking spray. Place your meat substitute (the firm tofu or the chickpeas) in the food processor & mix in quick pulses until it has the consistency of ground meat. Place it in the frying pan with the onion. Time to mix the tomatoes! Put them in the food processor (no need to clean in between) with the water & mix until smooth. The scoop the mixture out into the frying pan. Fry everything until it's evenly coated with tomato mixture & it looks ready to be eaten.

Arrange the zucchini strips so that they cover the bottom of the baking dish then add your tofu/chickpea mixture & top it off with some of the sauce. Place the rest of the zucchini strips on top then add the last sauce & smooth it out evenly.

Place it in the middle of the pre heated oven for about 30 minutes & when it's done serve it with a leafy salad!


Here is the nutrition label, which certainly doesn't look too shabby! I love when recipes turns out amazing & filled to the brim with taste while they're still soooo good for you! I guess that what I am trying to say is that healthy, wholesome food makes me happy!





     

No comments:

Post a Comment